On November 19, 1919, 21 Master Masons petitioned Grand Master Charles J Orbison for a dispensation to form a new Lodge to be known as Englewood. The Grand Master appointed Worshipful Brother John Bayless to be the Worshipful Master. Brother Bayless had been a member of New Point Lodge No. 225 in New Point, Indiana.
On May 2, 1920 in called meeting number 41 a petition to the Grand Master was prepared for submission. As a result of this petition, a Charter was granted to the fledgling Lodge on May 25, 1920 and Englewood Lodge No. 715 was in operation
The first candidate to be raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason was William York Hinkle. A story has circulated that Brother Hinkle's petition was one of two submitted on the same evening. The honor of being the first candidate raised, was give to him as the result of a coin toss. Such a thing would never, of course, happen today. The "loser" was Donald E. Christie who would become, in 1924 the first "home-grown" Worshipful Master of the new Lodge.
One man, Lloyd M. Thompson, served the Lodge on more than one occasion as Worshipful Master. Brother Thompson filled the station in the East in 1923 and 1934.
In 1944, 222 Master Masons were created in Englewood Lodge. The new Lodge grew slowly, reaching a membership of 279 at the end of 1940. By the end of 1950, however the membership had blossomed to 1,573, a five-fold increase. Membership reached a peak of more then 2,200 by the close of the 1960's.
Eight men who were raised in other Lodges have gone on to become Worshipful Master of Englewood.
Two members of Englewood have served the Grand Lodge of Indiana. Worshipful Brother Howard O. Hunter, Master in 1956, served on the Board of Directors of the Indiana Masonic Home that year and later served as Grand Lecturer from 1959 through 1974. John E. Grein, Master in 1978, became the 139th Grand Master of Masons in Indiana, 1989-1990.
The last surviving Charter Member of the Lodge, Murzy Haskell Hollingsworth, passed away; at the Indiana Masonic Home. He had served the Lodge as Tyler for 37 years and as a Trustee for 37 years.
The first home of Englewood Lodge was in rented quarters on the South side of East Washington Street in the 2213-15 block. This building was destroyed by the tornado which ripped through the East side of Indianapolis in 1927.
The Lodge then relocated to the second floor of the building at 2716 East Washington Street in which location it remained until moving to the present Temple in March, 1981. The cornerstone for this new building was laid by Most Worshipful Grand Master Robert H. Miller and his Grand Lodge officers on November 8, 1980 and the Temple was dedicated on September 19, 1981 by Most Worshipful Grand Master William H. Hufford.
Many people ask about the name, Englewood. The area around Rural and Washington Streets where the Lodge was originally located and where it remained for more than sixty years, was known as Englewood. Sections of the city are no longer given names but other examples which come to mind are still quite visible are Irvington, Nora, Haughville and others. Few vestiges of Englewood Remain today. Most visible is Englewood Christian Church which is still flourishing.